Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Tell-Tale Heart



Reader’s Journal # 11



Dear Mrs. Zrihen,                                                                                                         11/8/11

             

            I just finished reading my short story, The Tell-Tale Heart by no author.  I thought this was a stupid short story because a girl kills an old man because of his eye. 

            There weren’t any quotes so I couldn’t pick one that was interesting to me.

            The genre of this book is realistic fiction because it’s not a real story.  The story takes place in the old man’s house during midnight.  The characters are the girl, old man, neighbor, and police officer.  The girl is the antagonist because she kills the old man which makes the old man the protagonist.  The old man’s neighbor and the police are supporting characters and they are flat.

            The tone and mood is scary.  The moral was don’t judge someone by their appearance.  The theme was this could happen in real life.  The point of view is in first person.  The pattern of organization is cause and effect.  The author’s purpose is to entertain.  The author is subjective because it only talked about what she felt about the old man.  I didn’t find any figurative language. 

            The plot structure is that a girl has problems and thought that they were caused by an old man’s eye.  She decided to kill him and the next door neighbor called the cops and the cops asked her questions.  Then she told them that she killed him.

Two strategies I used while reading were asking questions and skim and scanning.  Two strategies I used while reading were visualizing and asking myself if I understood each page.  Two strategies I used after reading were answering my questions and writing a reader’s journal.
             
              I would rate this story an 8 out of 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest.  I rated this book and 8 because I had to reread some parts and I thought the reason she killed the old man was stupid.

                                                                                    Sincerely,

                                                                                    Erika Alban

6 comments:

  1. Dear Erika,
    You had a great readers journal, but I still have a few questions.
    Would you reccommend this book to me?
    How long is this book?
    Is there a movie on this book?
    Sincerely, Eden Levy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erika,

    That's the same story I read. I know isn't that girl crazy in the head for killing a poor old man?

    What was the social conditions?
    What would you do if you were the author?
    Would you recommend this book to anyone you know?

    I suggest to understand what them is better.

    Sincerely, JUAN 702

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear erika
    you had a really nice readers journal this week by using discriptive details. also i wanted to ask what would you do i f you were in the main characters shoe and also do you reccomend this book to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Erika,

    You did a really good job on the details that were really descriptive. I have a few questions for you though.
    What was the exposition, the rising action, the climax, the falling action and the resolution. I know you did the plot structure but you really should be more elaborate. What are the NAMES of the characters?? What would you do if you were in the girls shoes?

    melinda hebert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Eden,
    I would recommend this book to anyone. Its not a book its a short story and its only three pages long. There is not a movie of this book.
    Dear Juan,
    I don't know the social condition but I think its poor because he would have protection for his house. If I were the author I would make it more detailed on how she killed him. I would recommend this book to anyone.
    Dear Schachar,
    If I were the old man I would have called the police once I heard something. I would recommend this book to anyone.
    Sincerely
    Erika Alban

    ReplyDelete