Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Closed for the Season



Reader’s Journal #13
Dear  Mrs. Zrihen,                                                                                                      11/22/11
            I am currently reading Closed for the Season by Mary Downing Hahn.  I think this is a scary book.  Two strategies I used before reading this book were reading the synopsis which told me the setting of the book and a little bite about the book.  Also I predicted that this book would be about a haunted house because I used text features like the picture.  Two strategies I used while reading were rereading parts I didn’t understand and they helped me better understand.  I reread some parts with pronouns because sometimes I would know who is talking.  Also, I visualized what the Magic Forest looked like and it helped me understand the setting better.  Two strategies I used after were writing a readers journal to share what the book is about and to show that I understand the book.  Also, I was able to answer my prediction and I was wrong because it’s not about a haunted house is about a magical forest even though there is a creepy house in the magical forest.
The quote that stood out to me the most was “Danny Phelps is my number-one enemy” said Arthur.  The significance and reason why I picked this quote is because it tells me that Danny is the antagonist (page 42). 
The genre of this book is mystery, fiction.  I know it’s a mystery because it says it on the cover.  The protagonists of this story are Logan and Arthur (round).  The antagonist is Danny and his friends (flat, antagonist) (it doesn’t say Danny’s friends’ name).   Johnny is the lawn mower and pizza delivery man (flat, foil).  Arthur’s grandma and Logan’s parents are supporting characters (flat).  And last, Mrs. Donaldson the murdered lady (flat, foil).  The setting is Richmond, Virginia.  The weather is rainy and sunny in the morning.  The social conditions are middle class.  The problem is that Logan and Arthur are in a dangerous forest and it is external.  The problem is men vs. nature. 
(The plot structure (I’m half way done with the book so I’m only in the climax) the beginning of the story explains the characters.  Then the rising action is that Logan and Arthur go to the Magic Forests because Arthur makes Logan go.  Now they are in the forest and Logan is scared and I need to read more to know what happens next.
The tone and mood of this passage is scary and sad because the murderer might kill someone else and sad because some people are sad that Mrs. Donaldson was murdered.  A moral I learned was don’t go into dangerous places.  The point of view is first person because it said my, me, and I.  The author’s purpose is to entertain.  The pattern of organization is chronological order because some clues in the story are the next thing.  The author is subjective because it’s only talking about the protagonists’ point of view not the antagonist and the author is biased because the author isn’t against anything.  When I was reading the story I found similes, metaphors, and onomonopea.  This book is similar to the book The Old Willis Place (by the same author) because both books are scary.  I would rate this book a nine, one being the lowest and ten being the highest.  I rated this book a nine because it used too many pronouns which caused me to get lost and have to reread the part I didn’t understand. 
Sincerely,
Erika Alban

5 comments:

  1. Dear Erika,
    You did a great job explaining why you rated the book a nine out of ten, here are a few questions I would like to ask....
    What were some pronouns you didnt understand?
    How did you use the after reading strategies?
    Would you change anything about the bookif you were the author?
    Sincerely, Eden Levy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear erika,
    You did a great job I liked how you did the passage and you said why it is important and significant to you.

    I have some questions are you,
    Who do you like in the book?
    What do you think this book is a 9 out of 10?
    What do you like about this book?

    Hope to see a good readers journal next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Erika,

    Why do you think the book had too many pronouns?
    What was your favorite part of the book?
    Would you recommend this book to me or not?
    Why?


    Would you reread the book if you had a chance?
    Why or why not?
    Otherwise you did an outstanding job.
    Maybe it was a bit long.
    Keep it up.

    From,Isaac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Eden,
    When I said I didn't understand the pronouns I meant that it would talk about someone and then I forget who it's talking about and then it would say he or she or something and I wouldn't know who it's talking about or who is speaking. For example, if it would say Logan and I don't finish the part that talks about him and fall asleep when I start reading again I won’t know who she or he is. The after reading strategies didn't really help they just were to explain that I understood what I read. If I were the author I wouldn't change anything because I won't make this book better I would just make it worse.
    Sincerely,
    Erika
    Dear Bar,
    My favorite character in this book is Arthur. I think this book is a nine out of ten because I got lost sometimes. What I like the most about this book is that it is scary.
    Sincerely,
    Erika
    Dear Isaac,
    I think it had too many pronouns because I got lost when the book said he or she. My favorite part of the book is when Logan and Arthur go to the Magic Forest. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes mysterious books. I might not reread the book if I had a chance because I would already know what is going to happen and it wouldn’t be as interesting as it is reading it the first time.
    Sincerely,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. wat 'bout Silas and Anthony's dad?

    ReplyDelete