Wednesday, November 16, 2011

readers journal #12

Reader’s Journal #12

                        Dear Mrs. Zrihen,                                                                                       11/1/11

            I am currently reading The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer.  I am really enjoying this book.  First, David, the main character, runs away because his mother abused him.  Then one day he went to school and the police came to pick him up.  When they got to the police station, the police called David’s mother to tell her that he was going to juvenile.  Then the police told David on the highway that he was free.  A drop of tear came out of his eye because he was so happy.  Then they took him to a place where there were kids.  He was in court with his mother to decide if he wanted to stay with her or not.  He decided not to.  And then a family wanted him.  He had his own room.  And rules he had to follow were don’t steal, go into other kids room, and has to tell where he is going and for how long.

The genre of this book is memoir.  If I would change the title, I would change it to A Foster Child.  The main idea of this book is that David is now free; he is away from his mom.  The main idea is implied because I had to use supporting details to figure it out.  For example,  he is with another family, a tear came out of his eye when the police officer told him that he was free, and when Carl told David the rule that he can go anywhere, David said “anywhere?”  an example of cause and effect is that his mother abused him so he didn’t  want to live with her and ran away.  His new home rules are different from his old home rules.  in his old home, he had to keep the secret about what his mother does to him and in his new home he doesn’t need to keep a secret.  They are both alike because he has to do chore but less in his new home, like to just help.  In his other home he was a slave and didn’t get feed food.  Five text features that I found were italics, title, picture, subtitle, and headings.  The pattern of organization can be cause and effect.  The author’s purpose is to share his life with other people.  The author’s point of view is first person.  I didn’t find any figurative language.  I would rate this book so far a 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest. 
            Two strategies I used before reading were predicting what the book would be about and skim and scanning.  Two strategies I used while reading were summarizing each section and reread a paragraph before starting to read where I left off.  Two strategies I used after were writing a reader’s journal and summarized everything I read so far.

                                                                                   

Sincerely,

Your favorite student Erika Alban




7 comments:

  1. Dear Erika,

    You did a good job. I like how you put in information about what happened in the book. However, I do have a lot of questions...
    How did ALL of your strategies help you? Explain please!
    How come there was no figurative language? Are you sure there isn't any?
    Why would you name the title of the book a foster child?
    What was a passage that helped you determine the main idea?
    How did ALL the text features help you?
    How did you determine the genre is memoir?
    How did the pattern of organization effect the books text?
    How much of an impact did the text features have on the book?

    You MUST be more elaborate!!! I don't understand anything because there wasn't any good information...

    Sincerely,
    Melinda Hebert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erika,
    Great job!
    First, i have to agree with Melinda 100% you do need to elaborate.
    Did using all of these strategies help you?
    Did you rate this book off of enjoyment or because the story.
    Is this a book you would recommend to me? Why?
    Would you recommend this book to everyone in class? Why?
    What was your outlook of life after reading this book?

    From,
    Shianne Salazar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Erika,

    Your readers journal was only about a page next time add some more fluff. For example respond staters like who was your favorite character and why? Other then that you did ok. Did you have the rubric in front of you next time if you did follow it. (Thank you)

    I am not done I still have a few questions for you.
    1. how did the statigies you chose help you? did they?
    2. What was you favorite part? page? why?
    3. What made you find out the genre was memoir?
    4. What was the figurative laungue? (there always is something)
    5. What is your least favorite part?
    6. Who would you recommend this to?
    7. Why did you rate this book a perfect score?
    8. What did you like about this book?
    9. Did you ever get bored in this book?
    10. What was the purpose?

    Love,
    Gabi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear melinda
    The before reading strategies helped me know the main idea and I scanned for text features. The during reading strategies helped me understand better. And the after reading strategies helped me show you I understood. I am sure there wasn’t any figurative language. I would name this book a foster child because the main character is a foster child. The main idea was implied and the main idea is about the boys life, david. Yes all the text features helped me. I know the genre is memoir because it said it on the back of the book. I don’t understand the last two questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear shianne
    The strategies helped me. I rated this book because of enjoyment and the story. I would recommend this book to anyone who read and liked the book a child called it. I don’t understand you last question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear jabbie
    I wouldn’t be talking jabbie because your journal is also 1 page it just looks like more ecause you used a bigger font. Why did you copy some of Melinda and shiannes questions? (melindas)You copied # 1,3,4, (shiannes) #6. If you read the rj, and not copy questions you would have seen the authors purpose. All the questions you copied I wont answer. My favorite part of the book was when he was strong enough and when he went to court and was able to say that he didn’t want to live with his mom anymore. I don’t know the page number because I already returned this book to the library. I don’t have a least favorite part. I rated it a perfect score because I liked the book a lot. DAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What I liked about the book was the whole book. I never got bored with this book. (HALF OF THE QUESTIONS WERE COPIED OR IN THE RJ!) (I KNOW U TRIED TO ANNOY ME BY ASKING ME A LOT OF QUESTIONS, BUT IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW, I DON’T ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT ARE COPIED OR IN THE RJ, AND I KNOW YOU DID THIS BECAUSE I COMMENTED ON YOU AND I DIDN’T EVEN ASK 10 QUESTIONS, I ONLY ASK 3, AND YOU DIDN’T READ MY JOURNAL AND I READ YOURS.) (YOUR NOT DOING YOUR HOMEWORK RIGHT!)

    ReplyDelete