Friday, November 4, 2011

The Lovley Bones



Reader’s Journal # 10

                        Dear Mrs. Zrihen,                                                                             11/1/11

            I just finished reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.  I really enjoyed reading this book even though it was very emotional especially when Salmon was murdered.  The main character is Salmon and the antagonist is Salmon’s next door neighbor, Mr. Harvey.  The setting was in her neighborhood but when Mr. Harvey murdered her, they were near her school during the night time. 

            While I was reading this book I felt sad and scared because I didn’t know what was going to happen.  I learned that you shouldn’t talk to anyone you don’t know even if they are your neighbors because you don’t know how they live or anything.  The author’s point of view was in first person.  The pattern of organization is flashback because at the beginning the book started with Salmon saying that she was murdered and then after she says that she explains what happened before she was murdered.  The author’s purpose was to entertain.  The author is objective.  There are similes, metaphors, onomonopea, personification, and hyperbole. 

            The plot structure is that first a guy moves in.  Then he built a tunnel under ground.  On accident Salmon goes in and then gets trapped and killed. After she goes to heaven and meets new friends while her sister knows who it is.  She goes to the next door neighbor’s house while he is gone and looks for evidence.  She finds a book that shows what he is going to build to trap the next person.  The conflict is man vs. man.

            I would rate this book a 10, 1 being the lowest, and 10 being the highest.  I rated this book a 10 because it was a cliffhanger.
          Two strategies I used while were asking questions and skim and scanning.  Two strategies I used while reading were answering my questions and visualizing what I read.  After I finished reading I thought about what the book is about and wrote a reader’s journal.

                                                                        Sincerely,

                                                                        Erika Alban

No comments:

Post a Comment