Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Where Washington Walked




Reader’s journal #5
Dear Mrs. Zrihen,                                                                           09/27/11
I just finished reading Where Washington Walked by Raymond Bial.  The main idea of this book is places where Washington once was and the main idea is implied because I had to use supporting details to figure out the main idea, it wasn’t stated in the book.  I know that this is the main idea because some supporting details are lived in a small plantation known as pope’s creek in Westmoreland county, Virginia, in 1736, when George was nearly four years old,  his family moved about sixty miles farther up the Potomac river near little hunting creek, which later became mount Vernon, and lived in ferry farm.  These details are factual.
While reading this book I got bored and took a nap.  I thought this book would be more interesting.  Since I got bored while reading this book I would rate it a 3, one being the lowest and ten being the highest.   
An example of cause and effect is that Washington was a great leader which made him a great president.  Some text features I found in this book are pictures, captions, title, acknowledgment, and publication.  The pattern of organization is chronological order because it is talking about George’s life in order from when he was born to the day of his death.  The author’s purpose is to inform.  The author’s point of view is in second person.   Five new vocabulary words I learned were rural, infant, amid, pastures, and destined, and I used a dictionary.  Rural means relating to, infant means a very young child or baby, amid means surrounded by, pastures means land covered with grass, and destines means to predict.
The genre of this book is biography because it’s about a person’s life and it was written by someone else.  I would name this book places where Washington’s been.                                         
Two strategies I used before reading were skim and scanning and asking questions.   Two strategies I use while reading were making sure I understood every page cause some pages were confusing and answering questions.  And two strategies I used after reading were summarizing the book and writing a reader’s journal.                                                                                                                                                                                            
Sincerely,                                                                    Erika Alban

2 comments:

  1. Dear ,
Nice readers journal. I liked they way you wrote your strategies. I am looking towards your readers journal for a future week.
I have some questions for you,
Do you recommend this book to me?
What is the conflict?
What is the pattern of organization?
What is the topic of this book in two words?
What did you like about this book?

    From,
    Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  2. no i wouldnt recommend this book to you because i dont recommend books that i think are boring. there are no conflicts in nonfiction books. the pattern of organization is chronological order. the topic of this book in two words would be washingtons homes. i didnt really like anything about this book.
    sincerely
    erika alban

    ReplyDelete