Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Kiss In Time




Reader’s Journal
Dear Mrs. Zrihen,                                                            09/21/11
I am currently reading A kiss in time by Alex Flinn.  I only got to the part when Talia wakes up from her sleep.  I really like this book.  Mrs. Zrihen also recommended this book to me.
The genre of this book is Fairy Tale, Fiction.  The characters are Talia (the princess), Jack (the guy that kisses her), Travis (Jacks friend), Malvolia (witch), Amber (Jack’s old girlfriend).  This took place in a castle in Europe.  The plot is Talia gets stabbed with a spindle by Malvolia.  Then the whole town falls asleep and their location disappears on the map.  Jack and Travis are wondering like idiots because they didn’t want to go to another museum and they are walking they find a castle.  They go in and they look into rooms.  Then after a while, they find a room with a girl in it.  Jack decides to kiss her and then Talia wakes up and so does everyone else.  The main problem was that Talia got cursed by Malvolia.  It’s internal because when she wakes up she is 316 years old and she won’t be able to celebrate her 16th birthday party and external because the whole town is asleep.  The type of problem is character vs. society because Malvolia is the character and she puts everyone to sleep which is going against society. 
I think the author felt bad for Talia when she was not able to celebrate her 16th birthday when she was going to turn 16.  I didn’t like Malvolia because she stabbed Talia.  The lesson is don’t do anything strangers ask because they might have a plan.  The message is strangers can be mean.  This story is written in first person, and I know this because the book says I.  The pattern of organization is cause and effect because something happens and then something else happens because of what happened.  For example, Malvolia stabs Talia on the finger and causes everyone in town to fall asleep.  The author’s purpose is to entertain.  This book reminds me of sleeping beauty.  I really like this book so far so I would rate it a 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest. 
Two strategies I used before reading were skim and scanning and predicting what the book would be about.  While I was reading I was compare and contrasting some events from this book and sleeping beauty.  And I would reread because I would read but think about something else.  Also, I would summarize each chapter. 
                                                                        Sincerely,
                                                Your favorite student Erika Alban

4 comments:

  1. Dear Erika,
    I think you did a great job. there is not much for me to comment on because you did that good of a job. but why did you pick this book. was it because Mrs.Zrihen made you, or somebody told you it was a good book. please tell my why. Thank you have a qgggggggrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaatttttt day.
    From,
    Randy Weber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erika,

    You did a great job in explaining the content of the book. There are a few items that were missing from the Rubric. What was the figurative language in the book? What would you rate this book? Who would you recommend this book too?
    I suggest that next time to follow step by step the rubric. All in all you did a great job! Looking forward to the next post.

    Sincerely,

    Michael Heskiel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Randy,
    I pick this book because Mrs. Zrihen told me that it was a good book so i checked it out of the library and I liked it.

    Dear Michael,
    I think you really like to read my journals cause this is the second time you comment on my journal. I would recommend this book to a girl in middle school and not a boy cause they might abandon the book. I rated the book 10 and it's in my journal!!! And last I don't remember finding any figurative language

    ReplyDelete