Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Harriet Ross Tubman




Reader’s Journal # 6
                     Dear Mrs. Zrihen,                       10/4/11
            I just finished reading Harriet Ross Tubman by Don Troy.  This book was a lot better than Where Washington Walked.  The genre of this book is biography because it’s about Harriet’s life, her real name was Araminta Ross.  The topic of this book would be slave freer because that is what she did that made her a hero.  The main idea was that Harriet freed many slaves.  The main idea was implied because I had to use supporting details to figure out the main idea.  For example, she helped other slaves all her life, she went to the south many times just to help slaves, and she even went back to the south even though a reward of $40,000 had been offered to whoever captured her. 
The essential message is that you accomplish more things when you are brave.  An example of cause and effect is she freed a lot of slave and they gave her respect.  Harriet and her family are different because Harriet is brave and her family isn’t, but they are alike because they were all slaves at one point. 
Some text features I saw were photographs, captions headings, title, cover, synopsis, subtitle, a timeline, table of contents, publication page, italics, glossary, and index.
The pattern of organization is chronological order because the book had dates and they were in order.  The author’s purpose was to inform.  The author’s point of view was in second person.  I didn’t see any figurative language because it was too serious. 
I would rate this book 8 out of 10, I being the lowest and ten being the highest.  I rated this book 8 out of 10 because I didn’t get bored but I wanted the book to be more detailed.
Two strategies I used while reading were skim and scanning and read the synopsis.  Two strategies I used during were looking at the words I didn’t know in the glossary and summarizing each section.  Two strategies I  used after were writing my reader’s journal and looked at the timeline at the back of the book.
                                                                                                Sincerely,
                                                                                    Your favorite student Erika Alban

4 comments:

  1. Dear Erika,

    You did a really greta job on this. I have a lot of questions though.
    First, What was a reason why you chose the book? What is a passage that was significant to you? What was the authors perspective? how and what did you compare and contrast? Were there any supporting details to the main idea?

    I think you did a good job but you were really missing many things.

    Your best friend,
    Melinda Hebert :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erika,

    I enjoyed reading your Reader's Journal. I just have a few questions.
    Is Harriet Tubman still alive today?
    What was the author's perspective?
    Have you ever experienced any situation based on the moral?

    Great job on your Readers Journal. Looking forward to seeing your next post.

    Sincerely,

    Michael Heskiel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Erika,

    I love your readers journal I can tell you worked hard on it. You did mostly everything. I only have 5 questions for you.
    What was the authors perspective?
    Is Harriet still alive?
    What is a passage that was significant to you?
    Would you recommend this to me?
    what did you compare and contrast?

    Love,
    Gabi <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Melinda,
    i am only going to answer the questions that are not in the passage. the librarian recommended this book to me. i dont know the authors perspective(dont know what it means).
    Dear Michael,
    Harriet is not alive anymore. She died in 1913(93 years old). What do you mean the moral. There is no moral in nonfiction rubric.
    Dear Gabi,
    i dont know the authors perspective. she is alive. yes i would recommend this book to you.

    ReplyDelete