Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tiger Eyes


Reader’s Journal # 2
Dear Mrs. Zrihen,                                                                   09/06/11
I just finished reading Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume.  I really like books Judy Blume writes.  This book is realistic fiction because it is based on a true story that had happened in real life Judy Blume.  When she was twenty-one, her father had died because he had a heart attack, and in the book, Davey’s dad dies when she is fifteen because he gets shot.   The protagonist of this story is Davey.  The antagonist is the guy who robbed and shot Adam, Davey’s dad.  The foil characters are Bitsy (aunt), Walter (uncle), Wolf (friend), Mr. Ortiz (Wolf’s dad), Jane (friend), Hugh (friend), Lenaya (friend), Ned (Gwen’s friend), Gwen (mom), Jason (brother), and Minka (cat).  This story took place in Atlantic City, New Jersey and Las Alamos, New Mexico, but mostly in Las Alamos, New Mexico.  The main problem is that she won’t leave the past behind and move on.  The problem is internal and it is character vs. self. 
I feel sad when Davey’s dad dies because he gets shot, Wolf’s dad dies because of cancer, and Wolf leaves New Mexico.  I think the author cried for days when her dad died.  She was probably very glum and couldn’t sleep.  The story is told in first person.  The pattern of organization is cause and effect cause when her dad died Gwen, Davey, and Jason went to Las Alamos to visit Bitsy and Walter, and Gwen started to get headaches.  Another example is when Gwen got headaches which caused them to stay longer in Las Alamos.  The author’s purpose is to share what had happened in her life but with using other characters.  The author is bias.  I can’t find any figurative language in this book.  I learned that you can lose something that you really love.  The message is that you have to move on and leave the past behind.  I don’t understand why Wolf didn’t stay in New Mexico?
I would rate this book a 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest.  Mrs. Zrihen is a great recommender.
First Davey’s dad dies in a seven eleven store in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  Then Jason, Davey, and Gwen go to Las Alamos, New Mexico to be with Bitsy and Walter.  She meets a guy named Wolf at the canyon.  Then one day Wolf’s dad dies and Davey started to cry more than she cried when her father died.  That day Wolf wrote her a letter saying that he had moved and he will be back in the spring.  Then Davey started writing letters to Wolf and gave it to him in the spring.



Two strategies I used before reading were predicting what the book would be about, and I thought it would be a sad book about a girl.  I also skim and scanned and found a lot of text features like the title, picture, title page, dedication, publication, chapters numbered, italics, and a synopsis.  Two strategies I used during reading were every time before I go to sleep think about the summary of the book from the beginning so I won’t forget the beginning.  Plus, I looked up words I didn’t know like Hemophilia.  Two strategies I used after reading were thinking about the literary elements, and think about the cause and effects.
                                                            Sincerely,
                                                                        Your favorite student Erika Alban

4 comments:

  1. Dear Erika,

    I enjoyed reading your Readers Journal. This book sounds very sad. I have a few questions to ask. How did Davey get over the death of his father? Was the murderer ever found? Were you crying while you read this book?

    I honestly would not like to read this book, since I do not like to read sad stories. Your Readers Journal was explained very well. I look forward to reading your next post.

    Sincerely,

    Michael Heskiel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erika ,

    this reader's journal was a very informative one, so I guess you just followed what was on the Reader's Joural rubric and started to write what you need because this includes mot of the things that I remember from the rubric.

    I do have some things that I want to ask you:
    Is there a reason that you like the author Judy Blume? Is it because of the writing, or how she writes the story and the plot?
    I saw that you gave this book a 10 and you told me that it was a sad story, so do you like sad stories from this author or just this on? Do you know the exact name of the antagonist? Was there a reason that the robber wanted to kill Davey's dad? HOw s the author in the story bias, what did he support in the story?
    I also wanted to know that if you can describe this story in two or three words what would it be? I liked the way how you wrote the events that happened in the story and how everything effected something else? Why do you think Davey was crying for the death of Wolf's dad? If you were in the protoganists shoes what would you do differently than Davey?

    Can't wait for your response.
    Sincerely,
    Juan 702

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Erika,
    I enjoyed reading your RJ, as you provided full details on the story. How did you feel when you were reading the book? Did you feel sad? Also, why did you pick this book in particular? It seems like a very sad book.

    I enjoyed reading, as you were very informative on the article. What other books have you read by Judy Blume? Would you recommend this story to anyone else? If you had a favorite part in the story, then what would it be? Lastly, what was the theme and moral in the story? I don't think I could find it in your RJ. This was a great RJ, so good job!
    Sincerely,
    Daniel Norman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn’t there only be one foil and if so who is it

    ReplyDelete